So, I'm doing a bit more research on an article I'm working on when I came across this great lens on Squidoo...
Naps are a good thing.
Keith and I experienced this when we decided to "do as the Romans do" when we were in Italy. We really got into this whole afternoon siesta deal. I mean, c'mon... Europeans have got it right. Most of us work crazy hours anyway. [heck, it's after 1 am now] Why can't we all just take a break for a couple of hours after lunch everyday?
Studies show it actually helps to make us more productive. According to the National Sleep Foundation:
- The average adult sleeps under 7 hours a night during a work week.
- 33% of adults surveyed sleep only 6-1/2 hours nightly.
- 40% of adults admit that the quality of their work suffers when they're sleepy.
- 68% say their ability to concentrate is diminished by sleepiness.
- 19% report making mistakes and errors due to sleepiness.
- Sleepy drivers cause approximately 100,000 car crashes annually.
- 33% of adults surveyed would nap at work, if allowed.
We actually tried the last bullet point, but the phone kept ringing.